St Peter's Church
Welcome to St. Peter's Church, Newenden
St Peter's church is normally open every day from morning until early evening, a place of rest and quietness.
|Associate Team Priest||The Rev'd Chris Hodgkins||RevChrisHodgkins@outlook.com|
|The Vicarage, Maytham Road|
|Rolvenden, Kent TN17 4ND|
|Tel no 01580 389587|
|Mobile 07843 220684|
|Tel no 01797 252563|
|Hugh Edmonds||Tel no 01797 252196|
|Safeguarding Officer||Judy Vinson||Tel no 01580 241504|
Chris and Judy have set up a Facebook page called "St Peter's Church, Newenden", as a line of communication for the community.
If anyone is unfamiliar or unhappy with Facebook, Judy had kindly offered to help; her phone no. is above.
Services and Events
Chris and Judy are relaying services, on the Facebook page (see above)
Tuesday to Saturday inclusive : Evening Prayer at 5:00,
Sundays: Eucharist at 10:30am and Evening Prayer at 5:00.
From Friday 19th June, Saint Peter’s will be open for private prayer
from 10:00 to 17:00.
for those seeking the silence of this ancient building in which to pray,
reflect and find peace.
Safety guidelines will be in place, please do follow them.
Many will be familiar with them by now, but there are notices of
This is for individuals only, the first step towards the full reopening
of the church,
no services or gatherings are yet possible, and we do not know when this
About the Church
St. Peter's Church in Newenden was probably built around 1300, or perhaps a little earlier. There may have been an older church building here before that time, indeed it is likely there was, as Newenden was a moderately important trading and market venue, but we know nothing for certain about any previous church.
Even at a cursory glance, it is evident that the church building as it looks now has been much changed over the centuries. The chancel and small turret on the south-west corner are recent additions. The nave of the church is clearly shorter than it once was. If you look to the north, you will see that the eastern-most arch is broken and ends in the wall to the chancel, without the expected pillar support. When the modern chancel was built, the foot of the missing pillar was found and this has been preserved in a niche on the outside of the church.
Looking now at the aisles, you can tell that these were once wider -- much wider in the case of the south aisle, where you can just about see the left third or so of a transversal arch at the eastern end.
After the Black Death and other troubles of the 14th century, the church was probably too big for the population. So, at some point perhaps in the 15th century, the decision was taken to make the aisles narrower so the whole building could be covered by a single roof. The king post construction of the present roof dates from that time.
In the 1690's, lightning struck the original tower, which fell down, bringing with it the chancel. In 1701, the east wall of the church was re-constructed where the opening to the modern chancel is today; and a new, square tower was built on the north-west corner of the church.
By the mid-19th century, the 1701 tower was suffering badly from subsidence, and had to be pulled down. The little turret now in place was built in 1858.
The present chancel was built in 1930-31 as a memorial to members of the Selmes family and other loved villagers, with contributions from many parishioners of the time.
Without doubt, the oldest visible man-made object, as well as the most photographed in the village is the font. It is made from a hard oolitic limestone (stone formed from small concentric, globular grains), which is believed to have been quarried near Sangatte on the French north coast (just where the Channel Tunnel terminates today). The consensus seems to be that it stems from the beginning of the 12th century, but the reality is that nobody really knows.